Chettinadu Mutton Masala
Variations – chicken/ egg/mixed vegetables
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- 2 onions (ground to paste)
- 2 tomatoes (ground to paste)
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 500 gms mutton (or chicken or egg or mixed vegetables)
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Zaiqa Chettinadu Masala 2-3 tbsp
- Salt to taste – approx 1 ½ tsp
- 2-3 tbsp coconut paste
- A few sprigs of curry leaves
- 3-4 dry red chillies
- Handful of finely sliced shallots (small onions).
- Heat oil, add curry leaves and onion paste. Fry till golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste; fry till oil separates.
- Add mutton pieces, turmeric powder and salt to taste, and sauté for 5 mins. Add a cup of water and pressure cook for one whistle; simmer and cook for another for seven minutes (if using chicken, reduce the cooking time to 10 mins and 5-10 mins for vegetables).
- Once all the pressure is released, add 2-3 tbsp of Zaiqa Chettinadu Masala along with 2-3 tbsp of coconut paste. Simmer for 5 mins.
- Finally, temper with red chilies, small onions and few sprigs of curry leaves.
Tip – We advise the use of local tomatoes and not Bangalore ones as local tomatoes have less colour and are sour by nature.