- 100 gms whole black lentils /maa ki dal
- 2 tbsp rajma
- 2 tbsp channa dal
- 1 onion (pureed)
- 2 tbsp ginger juliennes
- 4 green chillies chopped fine
- 3 – 4 tablespoon ghee or butter
- 1 large tomato (ground to a paste)
- ½ cup tomato puree /ketchup
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves
- 3 tsp Zaiqa Dal Makhani Masala
- 1 small teaspoon kasoori methi
- 1 tsp zeera, 2 cloves, 1 cardamon
- ½ cup cream
- Salt to taste
- Soak the lentils over night after washing it 4-5 times in water.
- The next day, cook it with salt and half of the mentioned ginger and green chillies on a slow flame.
- Remove the froth that collects on top and discard.
- Slow cooking will take about 45 minutes. Or pressure cook for a whistle and simmer for 15 mins. The pulses should be soft, but not pulpy.
- Heat butter, splutter zeera, 2 cloves, 1 cardamon, ginger and green chillies; sauté on high. Add onion- tomato puree and fry for 5 mins.
- Add kasoori methi leaves, chilli powder (as per taste), Zaiqa Dal Makhani Masala and cooked dal/pulses; simmer for 5 mins.
- Add cream (reserve some for garnish).
Simmer for 5- 10 mins till dal is creamy, Garnish with cream, butter, ginger juliennes and coriander leaves. Serve along with naans / rotis