Dilli Nalli Nihari
Variations – chicken
- 4 -5 tbsp mustard oil
- 2 onions (sliced)
- ½ kg nihari meat (nihari meat is meat from the shoulder with shank – bone marrow)
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 to 3 tsp Zaiqa Dilli Nihari Masala
- 2-3 tbsp chana powder or 2 tbsp wheat powder (slighty roasted on dry tawa for 2-3mins – be careful to not burn it)
- Salt to taste
- 2 green chillies (slit),
- Coriander leaves and ginger juliennes (for garnish)
- Heat oil in a thick-bottomed vessel and add the sliced onions; fry until golden. Add the garlic paste and sauté well for 2-3 mins.
- Next, add the mutton and stir-fry on medium high heat for about 10-15 mins. Add Zaiqa Dilli Nihari Masala. Sauté well for 8 -10 mins.
- Add 5-6 cups of water and salt to taste. Simmer for an hour (traditionally, this is simmered on low flame overnight).
When the meat is almost done, add roasted chana powder or wheat flour to the pan whilst stirring continuously – this will thicken the gravy. Simmer for 5-10 mins or until oil oozes out of the gravy. Garnish with juliennes of ginger, green chillies and coriander leaves. Serve along with naans or parathas.