Memoni Mutton Biryani
- 500 gms meat / mutton with bones
- 500 – 600 gms Basmati rice (washed and soaked for 30 minutes)
- Whole garam masala (2 cloves, 2 cardamoms and 2 cinnamon sticks)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 5-6 onions (finely sliced)
- 4 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 potatoes (peeled and halved)
- 2-3 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 4-5 green chillies
- 1 cup curd (200 gms)
- 200 gms oil
- 3 tbsp Zaiqa Memoni Biryani Masala
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil, add whole garam masala and fry onion slices till golden brown (7 mins). Add 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste and sauté well.
- Add meat and sauté. Add tomatoes and fry until the oil separates; add curd, turmeric powder, Zaiqa Memoni Biryani Masala and salt to taste.
- Add 5 chopped green chillies and fry for 15 minutes. Cook on low heat until the meat is tender or pressure cook until done.
- Separately par-boil rice till ¾ done. Strain well and keep aside. Fry the potatoes pieces and keep aside.
- In a thick-bottomed vessel, layer the half cooked rice and fried potatoes over mutton gravy. Close and simmer (dum) for 10 mins.
Heat enough water to boil rice, add rice only after water is hot. Add the garam masala (1 clove, 1 cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon stick, ½ tsp shah zeera) and cook till ¾ done. Drain immediately.
Dum cooking preparation
- Cover the thick-bottomed vessel with tight lid, seal with atta (dough) or foil making sure that it’s completely sealed.
- Cook on high flame for 2 minutes, lower flame and leave it on dum for 10 minutes – keep a tawa on the flame such that the vessel is not directly on it. This will ensure that the cooking is slow and the seal will make sure that the flavours are retained while cooking.