We all go to restaurants and order different gravies and in no time it’s on our table and I always used to wonder if we can do this at home …….Off course we can ,and can make different gravies in no time and reason in is restaurants they have mother base gravy which they use commonly in all gravies ,if we make that home ,we can for sure win the hearts of each member of our family .
Best part of this mother base gravy is that you can divide it into smaller portions and ( label it ) freeze it , and can used later and I am very happy to share the recipe of mother base gravy ( restaurant style ) with you all
- 100 gms Cashew nut
- 100 gms Melon seeds – together in warm water for 30 minutes and make fine paste.
- 1 kg Finely chopped onions
- 1 cup Oil
- 1/2 cup Ginger garlic paste –
- 1/2 kg Tomato paste – ( blanch the tomato ,remove the skin and mark it into paste. )
- Whole garam masala (cardamom – 5 cloves – 5 cinnamon – 1 inch)
- 2 tbsp Chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Dry fenugreek / kasuri methi
- 1/2 tsp Cardamon powder
- Soak Cashew and Melon seeds together in warm water for 30 minutes and make fine paste.
- In a non stick pan add oil, add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon sauté for a minute add chopped onions , sauté till golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste , sauté till the raw smell goes then add tomato paste , cook in slow flame and keep stirring to avoid burning, (this step is very important). Add cashew & melon paste and add chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, cardamom powder and dry fenugreek and cook for another few minutes and the base gravy is ready. Cool the gravy, grind. Store in boxes or zip lock bags.
- Given below are the gravy options that you can make with this mother gravy
Vegetarians – You can substitute chicken with paneer or cauliflower or mixed vegetables.
In a pan, add (oil 2-3 tbsp), add 1 -2 cups base mother gravy, sauté add cooked chicken pieces ( grilled with butter chicken masala or red chilli pwd, haldi, garam masala), sauté chicken pieces well in the base mother gravy, add 2-3 tbsp of tomato ketchup, 1/2 tsp kasoori methi powder, 1 tbsp butter chicken masala, 1 tsp garam masala, salt to taste and 1/4 cup cream simmer for 5 mins and serve
In a pan, add (oil 2-3 tbsp), add mix of (whole dried chillies, saunf, cumin (zeera), mustard seeds), chopped garlic 2 tsp, fry well add 1 -2 cups base mother gravy, sauté add cooked chicken pieces ( grilled with butter chicken masala or red chilli pwd, haldi, garam masala), sauté chicken pieces well in the base mother gravy, add 2-3 tbsp of tomato ketchup, pepper powder, zeera powder, salt to taste, little ghee and sauté well on high flame for 2-3 mins and serve
Chicken Tikka Masala
In a pan, add (oil 2-3 tbsp), chopped garlic 2 tsp, 2-3 tbsp of tomato ketchup, elaichi powder abt ½ tsp, add 1 -2 cups base mother gravy, sauté add cooked chicken pieces ( grilled with Zaiqa Tandoori Masala or red chilli pwd, haldi, garam masala), sauté chicken pieces well, if required add 1 tsp of Zaiqa Tandoori Masala in the base gravy, add 2-3 tbsp of grated boiled egg, salt to taste and serve
Other Variations – Chicken masala – Add chopped capsicum is added in chicken tikka masala along with little tandoori masala.
Same process as Hyderabadi Gravy but sauté 1 cup diced onions are added in the end along with green chillies.
Give a tempering with Cumin (zeera) and whole red chillies, with alot of emphasis of frying/sautéing the masala, addition of grated paneer and Zaiqa dhaba masala/Karahi masala, and top with butter before serving.
Achari Chicken Masala
Same process as dhaba style instead add 2 tsp Zaiqa Achari Masala