Hyderabadi Kacche Biryani
1 cup oil/ghee
1 kg chicken
- 5 onions – deep fried (brishta)
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 tbsp Zaiqa Hyderabadi Biryani Masala
- 4-5 green chillies (crushed)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 500 gms curd for meat (a little less than that for chicken)
- ½ cup mint leaves (chopped)
- ½ cup coriander leaves (chopped)
- Salt as per taste
For the rice
- 1 kg Basmati rice
- Whole garam masala (7 green cardamom, 4-5 cloves and 2 inch cinnamon)
- Marinate chicken/meat with all the ingredients mentioned under ‘marinade’. Reserve ½ of the deep fried onions (brishta) for layering.
- In a separate heavy bottom pan, add whole garam masala and salt to boiling water.
- Add the soaked basmati rice to the boiling flavoured water and cook till half done. Strain and keep aside.
- In a thick bottomed vessel, layer the marinated chicken and spread half of the remaining brishta (fried onions). Layer with rice, sprinkle saffron dissolved in milk (¼ cup), drizzle 2 tbsp hot ghee evenly and top with remaining brishta (fried onions).
- Seal the biryani with a silver foil or flour dough and cook on dum for 30 mins.
Suggestion 1 – To make mutton biryani, along with all above mentioned ingredients, add 2 tbsp raw papaya paste or any other meat tenderiser to the marinade. This is an important ingredient or the meat won’t tenderise well. Alternatively, marinate meat with all the ingredients, add a little water and pressure cook till half done. Once half-cooked, layer and cook in dum style with rice as mentioned in step 4.
Suggestion 2 – For vegetarians, replace the chicken with mixed vegetables (sauté assorted vegetables in ghee for 5 mins and marinate for 30 mins with the marinade ingredients; after that follow the steps for dum cooking.)